Monday, May 31, 2010

#29 Memorial Day

DEO+ on STX #29
May 31st 2010: Memorial Day

Trinity Sunday
The Sunday after Pentecost or Trinity Sunday was Memorial Day weekend.
The local American Legion came to St. Peter’s for fallen war soldier remembrance; they carried out and presented the American and V.I. flags during the singing of the patriotic Hymn of Praise and Offertory Presentation.

Confirmation Class on Saturday morning
On Saturday our theme was: Who is Jesus? The young people responded with enthusiasm and I felt good about the Confirmation Class and the teens (& one adult) as they defined Jesus in their personal lives.

Stormy weather
The weather patterns have changed as wind shifted to the South and S.W.;
Daily rain storms and night squalls keep one on the toes closing shuttered windows and not leaving windows open while away from the unit. Murky and hazy horizon keeps the visibility at a minimum; unable to see the North Islands! The South and S.E. winds are not as constant as the normal North East prevailing trade winds.

First Clear Day on horizon
Today, Trinity Sunday, was the first clear day able to see St. John’s the last few weeks .

Give it away!
I am paring down excess “stuff” acquired in our stay: Golf games & food.
After purchased a “ten-pack” of 10 golf games, paying for 18, receiving 20 games, I gave away last seven games, transferring to “Shawn” the bar-tender at Duggan’s Restaurant; for this I will receive 10 or 15 drinks! Good deal for both of us; it’s called “bartering.” Some needy folks at the Church have received some excess food stuffs. Still more “things” to give away. I am cleaning house! Paring down!

East End Social Club steak out
The normal Saturday evening social event was moved to Sunday because of severe weather; we gathered at Al’s for steaks and bring your own drinks and side dish; I prepared a tasty “wilted lettuce fruit salad,” which actually came out superb; bowl was cleaned out when I left!

The Moon is Full!
It’s been a beautiful Full moon the last few nights behind the cloudy skies; lovely and mystical.

Washing dishes and washing clothes
It seems every day I either wash up clothes or dishes. Doing the sheets takes planning since to conserve electricity I hang clothes, towels and sheets on the line in the back atrium walled patio.

Crabs are out searching
With all the night rains, the crabs walk ashore and can be seen on the roads or along the bushes; why and what they are looking for I can’t fathom. Local people go out with buckets to gather in the live crabs; feed them rice to purge the dirt and mud then boil to cook/eat.

Next Interim selection in process
St. Peter’s is in the process of review and selection of the Next Interim Priest
that will follow my ministry; I have been sitting in on the selection interview and telephone questions; I keep quiet and encourage the Vestry after the process.

Indy 500
On Sunday afternoon I watched the Indianapolis 500 motor speed way classic race; enjoyed the action but found the process rather long waiting for the changes and potential crashes; fun afternoon; I’d rather watch on TV than be there in the extreme noise! One Charlotte NASCAR race enough for my taste in person!

Dogs and people on Ha’Penny Beach and Sunday brunch
After Mass, which we got finished early since the numbers were low; I stopped at Half Penny Beach on the way home for a quick walk along and shore. Lots of Sunday young couples walking their dogs showed me where those without Church dedication will gravitate toward. After my shore refresher, met friends at Duggan’s for a Sunday brunch; a “tradition every Sunday” almost weekly to set one watch to; the number at the table varies but the fellowship is always a high mid-Sunday experience! 

ECW to Diocesan Convention
40 women away; a hole in the worship on Sunday morning; Trinity Sunday our lowest attendance yet since I arrived! Even though numbers were down, we sang with gusto! Holy, Holy, Holy!

I am here just ONE more month! So,
Come See ME Mon!
La Paz y Buen Camino!
DEO+

No comments:

Post a Comment